Removable denture care
Over the age of 40, about 15% of people wear removable dentures. Removable orthopedic structures are an affordable and quick way of aesthetic and functional restoration of teeth, even with complete adentia. High-quality care of dentures is the key to their durability.
In this article we will talk about the peculiarities of adaptation to artificial teeth, the importance and peculiarities of hygiene, we will give useful recommendations on nutrition with removable dentures and their operation.
Addictive to the artificial jaw
Before wearing a removable denture becomes comfortable, each patient goes through a stage of adaptation.
The orthopedic structure is initially perceived as a foreign body, which can affect the patient’s taste and general well-being:
- the perception of temperature and taste of food changes;
- there is discomfort, irritation, gag reflex, increased salivation;
- the patient may bite the cheeks and tongue;
- there are difficulties in pronunciation, chewing food.
The duration of the adaptation period is individual for each patient. As a rule, the stage of irritation passes within a week. Speech with a new prosthesis is normalized after about 3 weeks, and with constant use, full addiction occurs within a month.
How to ease addiction to dentures: expert advice
- under the guidance of a dentist, master the skills of independent use of the ortho structure (how to put on, take off);
- during the first 2 weeks, try to wear dentures around the clock, removing only for washing, disinfecting the product and hygiene of the oral cavity;
- rinse your mouth with water often, drink warm tea;
- use quality means for fixing the prosthesis;
- for the first few days, give preference to soft foods;
- try to chew slowly, thoroughly, on both sides at once;
- to quickly restore speech, read aloud for 1-2 hours a day, pronounce tongue twisters, talk, holding nuts or lollipops in your mouth.
The need to care for removable dentures
The denture must always be kept clean. Failure to follow the rules of care threatens the patient not only with a reduction in the life of the product, but also with the development of inflammatory processes in the oral cavity. In addition, the state of the orthoconstruction depends on how comfortable it will be to wear it.
How to care for dentures?
Proper care of removable orthopedic structures has several components. It:
- proper cleaning and processing of the product;
- a competent choice of hygiene products;
- correct storage.
How to properly care for removable artificial teeth?
Removable nylon dentures should be regularly maintained. The most correct approach is to cleanse in the morning, after every meal, before bed.
Dentures are taken care of in different ways:
- the washing up;
The procedure for carrying out hygiene procedures:
- 1After removal, the denture must be rinsed under running water.
- 2If you have your own teeth, you need to clean them and rinse your mouth with an antibacterial solution. In addition to teeth, attention should be paid to the hygiene of the tongue and palate. With complete edentulousness, only rinsing the mouth with an antiseptic is performed. You can also wipe the tongue and mucous membranes with a swab dipped in a special antiseptic solution.
- 3In the morning and in the evening, it is necessary to clean the prosthesis well using special means.
- 4You need to disinfect dentures every day. To do this, pre-cleaned products are immersed in a disinfection solution for 15-20 minutes.
Caring for plastic dentures is similar.
Important points! It is necessary to especially carefully remove dirt from the surface that comes into contact with the gum in order to avoid the development of infection and inflammation of the gum tissue. You need to hold the product carefully so as not to drop or bend the working part, clasps.
In the care of dental prostheses are used:
- 1A soft-bristled toothbrush. Manufacturers have even developed special denture brushes that provide high-quality, gentle care.
- 2Toothpaste – you can use baby or any toothpaste that does not contain abrasive substances.
- 3Special means for disinfection.
- 4Irrigator. This device is indispensable both in caring for your teeth and in cleaning orthopedic structures. With the help of an irrigator, food debris and plaque are perfectly removed from the prosthesis.
How to wear removable dentures correctly
Rules for the use of removable dentures:
- keeping it clean, observing the rules of care and storage;
- careful wearing – chemical, mechanical damage, thermal effects must not be allowed;
- do not take long breaks in wearing, since even after a week’s break, unpleasant sensations from using the prosthesis may return, there will be problems with its installation and fixation.
Should I remove my removable denture before bed?
Modern removable structures are made of materials that do not cause allergies or irritation. Unlike previous generations of rubber prostheses, nylon and acrylic products can be worn 24/7. Moreover, experts recommend specifically leaving the dentures overnight for the first 2-3 weeks of operation in order to accelerate adaptation.
An exception is constructions with a plastic base, which should not be left in the oral cavity, since bacteria actively develop on them from moisture, which can provoke inflammation and bleeding of the gums.
Removable dentures storage rules
After removing nylon dentures, products with metal elements do not need to be stored in water or a special solution. This material does not dry out or deteriorate in the air. Proper storage of removable dentures is more about hygiene. After removal, the product is stored in a special case, a container with ventilation holes. The protective box must be dry, clean, kept out of the reach of children and pets.
Potential problems and solutions
- The prosthesis rubs, the gums become inflamed.
In this case, you need to see a doctor. Before visiting the dentist, it is necessary to wear a prosthesis for several hours so that the specialist can see the mark on the mucous membrane and correctly determine the place of correction on the product.
- Broken prosthesis.
Make an appointment with a doctor. If possible, the denture will be repaired by a dental technician within 2-3 days. If repair is not possible, a new prosthesis will be made within a week. Repair and replacement of the structure within 1 year (warranty period) is free of charge.
Feeding with artificial teeth
Nutritional restrictions when using removable dentures mainly relate to the adaptation period. At this time, it is recommended:
- the predominance of soft and liquid foods in the diet;
- thoroughly chopping food before consumption in order to facilitate chewing;
- chewing on the side from which the load causes less discomfort;
- limiting loads on the front of the structure (it is undesirable to bite off products using the front teeth).
In addition, in the process of getting used to and during the entire period of operation, it is necessary to avoid sticky products (butterscotch, chewing gum) and very hard products (nuts, crackers), as they can lead to a violation of fixation and even breakdown of the orthopedic structure. Do not eat very hot food with acrylic dentures. High temperature is one of the negative factors that can shorten the life of the product.
The condition and durability of the prosthesis is negatively affected by smoking, drinking strong coffee, tea. If stains appear on the prosthesis, you should consult your doctor. In most cases, it is possible to restore the original color and shine of the product in the dental laboratory.
More detailed recommendations regarding the care of removable dentures will be given to you by an orthopedic dentist.