Acupuncture, Su Jok therapy, acupuncture, acupressure
Reflexology is one of the types of traditional medical activity. Reflexology (RT) is a method of treating a wide range of diseases by affecting the biologically active zones of the human body.
Through numerous studies, “scientific reflexology” has highlighted reliable, repeatable clinical effects:
- neurotropic (restoration of the function of the nervous system, including peripheral nerves);
- improvement of microcirculation, blood circulation;
- fortifying, sedative.
In medical practice, acupuncture is combined with other rehabilitation techniques, such as massage, manual therapy, and drug therapy, to increase the effectiveness of acupuncture.
What organs, systems and diseases can be treated with acupuncture?
1. The nervous system.
Great successes have been achieved in the use of RT:
- with neuropathies, polyneuropathies, dorsopathies (osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernias), post-stroke disorders and other neurological pathologies;
- acupuncture is especially effective in the treatment of functional disorders of the nervous system, mental disorders such as panic attacks, astheno-neurotic syndrome, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, tension headache.
Reflexotherapy is an important component of the complex treatment of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the joints and spine, myofascial pain syndromes, promotes effective pain relief, increased joint mobility, and longer remissions during the course of the disease. With strokes, reflexology helps to restore the brain tissue and the vascular bed at an earlier date.
In case of sleep disorders under the influence of the RT course, normalization of sleep phases was obtained in 100% of cases, with sleep deprivation, work capacity and mental activity were preserved. In depressions, RT had a positive effect on the general physical status, there was a rapid normalization of sleep and a reduction in anxiety-depressive and somatic syndromes in most patients.
In all newborns with perinatal birth trauma, hypoxic-traumatic encephalopathy, acupressure and reflex massage allowed arresting neurological disorders.
3. Cardiovascular system.
In diseases of the cardiovascular system, RT contributes to a significant improvement in the indicators of blood circulation in the brain and heart, improving the contractile function of the myocardium, heart rate. RT is used for ischemic heart disease, hypertension, discirculatory encephalopathy, including in elderly patients.
4. Respiratory system.
Acupuncture has a bronchodilatory, anti-inflammatory effect, which makes it an effective method for treating bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive respiratory diseases.
Acupuncture effectively treats patients with chronic inflammatory diseases of the female pelvic organs. Positive results of treatment were obtained in the complex therapy of such dyshormonal diseases as endometriosis, dysfunctional diseases of the breast (mastodynia, fibrocystic mastopathy), hormonal infertility with functional disorders of the fallopian tubes, premenstrual syndrome.
The scientific substantiation of indications for RT in case of complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period is given. RT is an important component of the rehabilitation of women after severe toxicosis during pregnancy.
Increasingly, RT is used in dermatology, especially in diseases such as atopic dermatitis and other itchy dermatoses.
In patients with a surgical profile, a wide range of effective use of RT as a component of general anesthesia, as a method of reflex analgesia for pain syndromes in the postoperative period, and an effective method for treating functional postoperative disorders has been outlined.
Reflexotherapy is an important component of the treatment of immunodeficiency states through electroreflexotherapy and pharmacopuncture with the use of immunomodulators. RT activates humoral and cellular immunity.
In type 2 diabetes mellitus, the use of RT in combination with diet therapy gives a positive trend in blood sugar levels, lipid profile and other indicators indicating an improvement in carbohydrate, protein, fat metabolism, the function of the nervous system and microcirculation.
General principles of indications for reflexology
Reflexology is used:
- as an independent method of treatment, especially in case of allergic reactions to pharmacotherapy, with contraindications to other therapeutic methods;
- as a component of therapy in order to enhance the effect of basic pharmacotherapy, herbal medicine, homeopathic therapy, psychotherapy and manual therapy;
- as an auxiliary method of treatment for diseases requiring special pharmacotherapy in order to normalize neuroendocrine reactions, more stable compensation for carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, improve microcirculation, activate immunity, for the purpose of analgesic, antispasmodic, hyposensitizing, immunostimulating and general strengthening effects, delaying the development of the disease, in some cases – regression of the disease;
- as a method of emergency care in the complex treatment of some acute conditions.
How are acupuncture sessions carried out?
Before starting the RT course, the doctor consults the patient with the diagnosis in which RT is used. Treatment is carried out in the form of reflexology courses. Indications for the number and duration of courses are individual, determined by the severity of the disease, its duration, and the general condition of the patient. On average, the RT course consists of 10-15 procedures performed daily or every other day.
The appointment of repeated courses is determined by the nature of the disease and the results of treatment. The second and third courses consist of 5-10 procedures, with supporting courses (5-7 procedures 1-2 times a week). If indicated, re-treatment (over 3 courses) is prescribed no earlier than 3 months after the end of the last course. For example, in case of menstrual disorders, the RT course is recommended to start 5-6 days before the onset of menstruation, with a break for the period of menstruation.
In case of cardiovascular diseases, it is recommended to carry out RT with blood pressure control, in case of a combination of hypertension with coronary heart disease – with monitoring of blood pressure and electrocardiogram indicators.
Reflexology is not used on an empty or full stomach, in women during menstruation, after heavy physical exertion, running, hot baths, immediately after taking antihypertensive drugs, against the background of other states of physiological discomfort.