Teeth care after whitening
In the dental clinic Amel Dental, professional teeth whitening is performed, which allows you to restore the attractiveness of your smile and clean your teeth from harmful plaque. However, in order to maintain the result, it is necessary to follow the recommendations after teeth whitening given by the dentists of our clinic.
If you follow these recommendations, the result will last for several years and there will be no need for an annual clinic visit.
How to care for teeth after whitening
In the first days after the procedure, the teeth become sensitive to temperature and painful sensations may occur. This is due to the fact that even with delicate whitening using gentle tools and technologies, tooth enamel is affected and needs to be restored.
Mandatory dental care after whitening includes the use of a mouthwash containing substances that help restore enamel and reduce tooth sensitivity.
Tips for brushing your teeth at home after whitening:
- 1A mouthwash is used in addition to brushing your teeth with a toothbrush. After bleaching, it is recommended to use brushes with soft or medium bristles, as hard bristles will increase discomfort and slow down enamel recovery.
- 2In the first few weeks after the procedure, you must use a toothpaste that does not contain substances that affect the enamel and damage it. Dentists recommend using a paste that has a desensitizing property.
- 3Additionally, it is recommended to use dental floss to clean the spaces between teeth. It is necessary to remove food debris after each meal, especially if food tends to stain teeth.
- 4Whitening products can be used at home, however, they must be prescribed by your dentist. Folk remedies can negatively affect cleaned teeth and spoil the whitening result. You can also use an irrigator, which cleans hard-to-reach areas with a pressure of liquid.
Another important recommendation is smoking cessation. Nicotine and resins that get on the surface of the teeth with this bad habit stain the tooth enamel and lead to the loss of the whitening result in a short time.
In the event that severe pain occurs after whitening, Amel dentistry specialists recommend returning to the appointment to find out the causes of the pain and eliminate this unpleasant effect.
Diet after teeth whitening
To restore and eliminate sensitivity, food after teeth whitening should contain as much fluoride and calcium as possible, which have a beneficial effect on the growth of enamel and strengthening of tooth tissue.
These products include:
- Dairy products, especially cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk are recommended.
- Fish of various varieties.
- Asparagus, cauliflower, apricots and pears.
Since after bleaching the teeth are more susceptible to staining, as they become more porous. Among the things that can be eaten after teeth whitening, there should be products that have a white color – these are bakery products made from white flour, rice, light varieties of meat.
In order for the teeth not to change color and not to lose their attractiveness, it is worth abandoning or reducing to a minimum the use of such products as:
- Coffee, especially instant coffee. If you drink coffee, you should dilute it with milk.
- Black and green teas also have an effect on tooth color.
- Red wine should be replaced with white or rosé.
- Chocolate and sweets based on it also stain the enamel.
- Seasonal foods such as certain berries, vegetables and fruits that have strong coloring properties should be consumed in limited quantities.
Due to the increased sensitivity of the teeth, it is recommended not to eat solid foods, as well as foods with high and low temperatures. For example, hot tea or ice cream will cause unpleasant and even painful sensations during the recovery period after bleaching.
The list of what not to eat after teeth whitening contains foods that have a pronounced sour or pungent taste. These products include citrus fruits, various sauces, and some types of seasonings.
One of the most frequently asked questions is – can you drink alcohol after the whitening procedure? In the initial period, it is recommended to refuse strong drinks, rosé and red wine. When asked if white wine can be used after teeth whitening, the answer is yes, but one should not abuse alcohol and adhere to a healthy lifestyle.
Exit from the diet can be started after restoration of tooth enamel and elimination of porosity of the tooth surface. However, in order to maintain a snow-white smile, it is recommended to maintain a diet, the more it has a beneficial effect on the overall health of the oral cavity and the human body.